Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stay Hungry My Friends!

Dear Sugar Diary,
  
"Above all, you must fight conceit, envy, and every kind of ill-feeling in your heart."                                                                                 
                                                                                                    ~Abraham Cahan


    Today I start with that quote...it is vital information for the person that wishes to succeed in life. In anything. I moved to this town 4 years ago. I quickly learned that small town living has it's perks but many downfalls too. The fact that 43,888 people live in one small area (153.46 sq mi) makes way for pettiness on a level I can't even begin to describe. I think that maybe the thin mountain air makes everyone prone to mood swings. But that is just my theory. (lol) I have lived in many places and almost always in a big city....and in 33 years I have never experienced the level of ill will I have felt and seen in this town.
   In caking you always try to come up with new innovative ways to present CAKE....you strive to be on the cutting edge....you keep up with trends....Ombre...Petal....Ruffle cakes....You spend hundreds of dollars buying tools...materials....etc. You spend countless hours organizing your treasures...and then re organizing them... hours upon hours looking at cake. Scrutinizing it. Kinda like a jeweler looks through his loupe at an exquisite diamond.  You watch tutorials others have graciously put out there with that same awe a person watches a ballet or an art exhibit.....and you practice....you practice till your hands cramp and your eyes cross. You bore your family with cake talk...You come up (with what you think) is an original idea...you toy with this idea and run to the internet to see if it has been done....99.9% of the time ...IT HAS. So lets face it...you either keep everything to yourself or like me...do what your heart dictates. Listen to your inner voice and not the hateful emails...listen to your own creativity and not the mean comments that you hide in your spam folder. If people are taking precious time to be rude or mean it only means one thing....YOUR DOING IT RIGHT. ;)
 I am an optomist....I happily cake from the confines of my little kitchen...I don't have time to "keep up with the neighbors" and I definitely do not have time for non sense....not from adults anyways ..seeing as to the fact that I have 3 children and get enough non sense from them...lol. So if you know me you know that most of the time I am easy going and real. I won't indulge in small town gossip ....come on people .... it's CAKE...one of the happiest foods on earth...ice cream goes with it and sprinkles and whipped cream and all of the yummy things you can think of. Once you learn to get over yourself and accept the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people everywhere doing what you do you will begin to feel the camaraderie instead of competition.   I am Shey....I can't be anything else....I don't try to be anything other than Shey. ;) And I am the best Shey there can be. How do I know that? Because in the estimated 6.998 billion  people that populate our great planet I am the ONLY one. ;) I hope this lifts your spirits if you are down....look in a mirror and see the perfection that is YOU! Stay Hungry My Friends! FOR CAKE! =)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment