Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Old School Basic....

Dear Sugar Diary,
 Good morning...today is one of those days where a fake smile takes the place of a true one and you have no idea how to feel. But as my momma always says "La Vida Continua" ..."Life goes on" and I guess she is right.
  I should be getting sketches drawn out for potential cake designs(Yes I am an old fashioned girl and still sketch by hand) ....I should be getting pieces cut for a project on the 2nd....but here I am slowly sipping coffee and pecking away at the keys on my keyboard.
  I am awake and breathing and that in itself is a triumph. The first message I read today asked if I could share my buttercream recipe.....of course I can....it is very basic and old school....but yummy!;)

1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sugar (sifted)
2 tbsp milk
 
That is really basic huh? I have also made it from shortening but the taste and texture is very different. Making it from shortening is good for our desert weather in the summer.....it holds up better.....but you can totally tell it isn't butter. I also play with flavors .... coffee....chocolate...rum....berries...you can do pretty much any flavor with a basic buttercream recipe....don't be scared to experiment...and stray from recipes a little....but be sure to document it as you do...every last drop of anything you add should be accounted for. So the next time you make it it will be the same. Why is this so important? Because you may have made an amazing batch of icing for one party and someone had some and they are now calling you for a cake with "THAT AMAZING ICING" they had and if you didn't keep track of how you made it then your in a predicament! =\ Write it all down! 
 
I never know how to end these entries....for now I will say until next time....I have a lot to get done this morning and should get to it!  Keep experimenting and writing everything you do down in full detail! My notes always look like something that came from Nasa....lol.....chicken scratch that only I can understand! Be daring and try something new today!=)

No comments:

Post a Comment