Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dear Sugar Diary,

Good Morning! Time is 7:11am and the sun is coming up very nicely=) I woke thinking "Are the kids up?" ...and yes they are.=) So then my second thought was a quote from one of my favorite ladies in the whole world....
"If your afraid of butter...just use cream!" ~Julia Child (it was the last thing I read before I went to sleep)
I have to bake a new recipe today and she is a fountain of inspiration! LOL....I need to go to the store later and get some cream!
When I started "decorating" cakes...I wasn't really decorating but more like I was squeezing buttercream out of a bag and hoping it would turn into something! LOL. It never did. It sat in a nice little pile and I stared at it wondering why on TV it looked so easy! I mean hadn't Buddy Valastro iced a cake in under 5 minutes BLINDFOLDED!? Even made buttercream roses?! I began to understand that maybe buttercream wasn't my forte'. Maybe I was destined to do something else....besides more buttercream always ended up all over me and my work area than on any cupcake or cake anyways. So I began a love affair with fondant. I bought some at first...from Walmart...the Wilton brand fondant. I sat down and removed the wrapper....looked at it and asked it "What do you want to become?" I had no plan....I wanted to just get familiar with what it felt like and what properties it had. I fell in love. That piece of fondant became a bunny ....then two bunnies and before you know it I had at least 5 little bunnies sitting on the table and thought to myself "They need a cake to sit on!" So I baked one. And thus my first attempt to bake and decorate a cake happened. Almost by itself. I was hooked. I remember rushing around the house looking for my camera...SOMEBODY had to see this! lol....I took a picture and sent it to Iraq. That's where Josh (my fiance) and Ramzi (my brother) were along with 4 other friends....they sent back positive feedback....I was over the moon. Looking back on my bunny cake....it was simple...not even covered in fondant ...but the feeling of satisfaction I got from creating this cake from a bunch of otherwise lonely ingredients really made me hungry for more knowledge. What IS fondant? What is IN fondant? Google and Youtube became my best friends. I woke up in the mornings ...made coffee and sat at my computer. From 7 to 3pm.....learning....fascinated.
I remember the moment I found I could MAKE fondant at home!!!! Oh the happiness! I think I went out and bought every bag of powdered sugar I could find....and marshmallows lol.....I would spend hours making fondant....coloring fondant and shaping fondant. =) It became the only thing I wanted to do...mind you I have three kids and must do my mommy chores! But the kids saw it as "Now mom is playing with play-doh" lol...and they sat and played with me. That was 2010....so many new things had happened that year....I turned 31....I got a drivers license for the first time ever in my whole life & got engaged(on the same day).....I discovered "caking" and I also lived through the most trying year of my life...waiting for Josh and my brother to come home from Iraq. It was a very scary year and had I not found cakes I have no idea how I would have coped with their deployments. Anyways....2 years later I am still on my quest to learn more....as for buttercream? I still can't ice a cake smooth...but have gotten way better at "almost smooth" lol....ok It is 8:08am .I will write more later diary.....I should be answering emails and checking to see if any new orders have come in.....and check out what is up on Facebook...lol....Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment