Tuesday, March 6, 2012

SMBC

Dear Sugar Diary,
  Hi! =) Today I woke up super early ...showered..did dishes and had some coffee...I am now ready to begin my day. =)

 I received an email asking about SMBC [Swiss Meringue Buttercream] I promised I would answer...so I will use this blog to do so;) While all the craze now is SMBC I have found through trial and error that sometimes you will want to experiment with it for different uses....it is great on a cupcake...and as filling...it has a creamier more buttery texture than traditional buttercream though both can be modified accordingly. =) SMBC is simply in my humble opinion ... YUMMIER. And the clean up is half of what you do for regular buttercream=) . Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 5 BIG egg whites
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract(or whatever flavor you want!)
I place the sugar ,egg whites and salt in the bowl of my stand mixer and place that over a boiling saucepan of water ... I beat the mixture till its warm and the sugar is all dissolved. You can feel it with your fingers to see if it is still grainy. Then I put the mixer bowl back on the mixer and start to beat it at medium to high speed with the whisk attachment till I see it start to form peaks but not DRY DRY ones...you want it to look shiny and smooth still. Whisk it for...let's say....8 to 10 minutes to be safe....or  until it is "peaky" and cool. =) Now your gonna wanna add your butter...try to do it a little at a time and add the vanilla too. Keep mixing till it is silky and smooth...no lumps at all. And viola! You have yourself some SMBC! It will freeze well for up to a month or so and keep in the fridge for no more than 3 days in a bowl with a lid! Keep the air out!. You can change this recipe to chocolate smbc just by adding about 4 1/2 oz of chocolate(semisweet melted and cooled) into buttercream at the same time you add the vanilla extract.
 I have a feeling that once you try it you will be wondering why you hadn't sooner! I did. Besides you don't get a film of dusty powdered sugar everywhere! =) If you have never tried it before TRY IT TODAY! You should be able to get the ingredients together without a trip to the store....but even a trip to the store is worth it! =) Have a SWEET day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment