Monday, May 7, 2012
Hi to all you Sugar Skull Cakery Allstars! Good Morning to you all from my garage...lol...yes my garage! Idk why I am in here but I set up my laptop in here for now....it's quiet and I can hear the birds outside.
This post is in response to numerous emails and messages I have received from newbies in the cake world. Questions have poured in asking what equipment would be the best to acquire first etc....so I have put together a list of what I think is a good starting point. =) I will also say I am by no means an authority on the matter...this is all just my own opinion !!! It's the things that I got when I decided to stop thinking about it and just did it! =)
Ok so first things first...You have played with the idea of baking and decorating cakes and cupcakes....but when you get online it becomes overwhelming....you click your way across pages on Facebook looking at other people's creations....and you wonder "How on earth did they make that?!" lol...It happens to me too...everyday and about a million times! Here are 10 things you should have as basics to even begin to start to try out baking and decorating:
1) Cake Pans! Duh! lol....but we see soooo many online....my top choices for a beginner would be : a) One 15x11 sheet pan
b) One 10 inch round pan ( I prefer the 3 inch deep ones)
c) One 6 inch round pan(again the 3 inch deep ones)
d) 2 standard size cupcake pans
e) 2 mini cupcake pans
2) Utensils! You will need a mixer...hand held...or like a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (what I have) It is an investment you will NEVER regret! Especially at 2am when you need a new batch of buttercream or fondant! TRUST ME! You will also want to have a good silicone spatula(for scraping down your bowls) ..two good angled spatulas (one big and one small for icing) a very sharp fillet knife for carving but ONLY FOR CAKING...... and a knife that has teeth like a saw. 1 measuring cup and a set of measuring spoons!
3) BOWLS! Big bowls..small bowls...plastic bowls..glass bowls...stainless steel bowls...and bowls with lids!
4) Apron....kitchen towels and a lifetime supply of paper towels and pot holders! But make sure all of these things are ONLY USED FOR BAKING.....don't use them for everything else you do in the kitchen! They lose their magical powers! ;)
5) Go to your favorite craft store or just a WalMart and get a basic set of icing tips and couplers...and disposable piping bags. The bigger the bag the better for starting out.=) They come in many sizes;)
6) Cupcake wrappers...here is a secret...the prettier they are ...the better your cupcakes will be....OK OK ....it isn't a scientific fact but it helps! Trust me!
7) If your planning on baking cakes get some cakeboards....there is nothing worse than baking a cake...pulling it out of the oven and running around realizing your OUT of boards ! =/
8) Buy STOCK (lol) in parchment paper...aluminum foil...wax paper....sandwich bags....and plastic wrap! These things will become your best friends! =)
9) Buy a basic set of polymer clay tools...you can get those in a craft store and even at WalMart! (this is if you plan on working with fondant)
10) a Good non stick rolling pin!
I hope this starts you off in the right direction! Part II is coming very soon! Stay tuned! I have to go unpack some more stuff....last week was a busy one and I didn't get to much stuff....so these couple of days off are gonna be for that! Good Luck on your adventure! =)